Normal view MARC view ISBD view

Maize-based cropping, systems in the hills of Nepal: Issues and challenges for sustainable crop production

By: Subedi, M | Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maiz y Trigo (CIMMYT), Mexico, DF (Mexico).
Contributor(s): Adhikari, K [coaut.] | Sthapit, B.R [coaut.] | Subedi, K.D [coaut.] | Vasal, S.K.|Gonzalez Ceniceros, F.|XiongMing, F [eds.] | Tiwari, T.P [coaut.].
Material type: materialTypeLabelBookAnalytics: Show analyticsPublisher: Los Baños, Laguna (Philippines) PCARRD : 2000Description: p. 407-422.Subject(s): Crop yield | Cropping patterns and systems | Maize | Micronutrient fertilizers | Millets | Production increase | Soil erosion, conservation and reclamation | CIMMYT | Zea mays AGROVOC | Soil fertility AGROVOCSummary: Approximately 80% of the total maize area in the country is grown in the hills and the remaining 20% in the Terai. The paper discusses major maize-based systems including maize/ finger millet system, maize + potato system, and a few other maize based systems such as maize + soybean and maize + upland rice. The paper discusses results of planting date studies, seeding depth intercultural operations, plant populations, and foliage removal practices. The paper summarizes results of soil fertility and conservation studies with inorganic, organic and micronutrients. Effects of long-term application of org~ic & inorganic fertilizers are reported. In the end the paper raises issues, concerns and challenges with respect to varietal development, cereal -cereal intercropping system, land holding vs use of production inputs, crop intensification, soil erosion and competition, and some future research needs.Collection: CIMMYT Publications Collection
Tags from this library: No tags from this library for this title. Log in to add tags.
    average rating: 0.0 (0 votes)
Item type Current location Collection Call number Copy number Status Date due Barcode Item holds
Conference proceedings CIMMYT Knowledge Center: John Woolston Library

Lic. Jose Juan Caballero Flores

 

CIMMYT Publications Collection Look under series title (Browse shelf) 1 Available 1A631326
Total holds: 0

Approximately 80% of the total maize area in the country is grown in the hills and the remaining 20% in the Terai. The paper discusses major maize-based systems including maize/ finger millet system, maize + potato system, and a few other maize based systems such as maize + soybean and maize + upland rice. The paper discusses results of planting date studies, seeding depth intercultural operations, plant populations, and foliage removal practices. The paper summarizes results of soil fertility and conservation studies with inorganic, organic and micronutrients. Effects of long-term application of org~ic & inorganic fertilizers are reported. In the end the paper raises issues, concerns and challenges with respect to varietal development, cereal -cereal intercropping system, land holding vs use of production inputs, crop intensification, soil erosion and competition, and some future research needs.

Conservation Agriculture Program

English

0208|AGRIS 0201|AL-Maize Program|R01PROCE

Juan Carlos Mendieta

INT3018

CIMMYT Publications Collection

There are no comments for this item.

Log in to your account to post a comment.
baner

International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) © Copyright 2015. Carretera México-Veracruz. Km. 45, El Batán, Texcoco, México, C.P. 56237.
Monday –Friday 9:00 am. 17:00 pm. If you have any question, please contact us at CIMMYT-Knowledge-Center@cgiar.org

Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo (CIMMYT) © Copyright 2015. Carretera México-Veracruz. Km. 45, El Batán, Texcoco, México, C.P. 56237.
Lunes –Viernes 9:00 am. 17:00 pm. Si tiene cualquier pregunta, contáctenos a CIMMYT-Knowledge-Center@cgiar.org