Subedi, M.

Maize-based cropping, systems in the hills of Nepal: Issues and challenges for sustainable crop production - Los Baños, Laguna (Philippines) PCARRD : 2000 - p. 407-422 - Printed

Approximately 80% of the total maize area in the country is grown in the hills and the remaining 20% in the Terai. The paper discusses major maize-based systems including maize/ finger millet system, maize + potato system, and a few other maize based systems such as maize + soybean and maize + upland rice. The paper discusses results of planting date studies, seeding depth intercultural operations, plant populations, and foliage removal practices. The paper summarizes results of soil fertility and conservation studies with inorganic, organic and micronutrients. Effects of long-term application of org~ic & inorganic fertilizers are reported. In the end the paper raises issues, concerns and challenges with respect to varietal development, cereal -cereal intercropping system, land holding vs use of production inputs, crop intensification, soil erosion and competition, and some future research needs.


English


Crop yield
Cropping patterns and systems
Maize
Micronutrient fertilizers
Millets
Production increase
Soil erosion, conservation and reclamation
Zea mays
Soil fertility

CIMMYT
baner

International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) © Copyright 2015. Carretera México-Veracruz. Km. 45, El Batán, Texcoco, México, C.P. 56237.
Monday –Friday 9:00 am. 17:00 pm. If you have any question, please contact us at CIMMYT-Knowledge-Center@cgiar.org

Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo (CIMMYT) © Copyright 2015. Carretera México-Veracruz. Km. 45, El Batán, Texcoco, México, C.P. 56237.
Lunes –Viernes 9:00 am. 17:00 pm. Si tiene cualquier pregunta, contáctenos a CIMMYT-Knowledge-Center@cgiar.org